Realize Your Leadership Potential5-Day Program
Enhancing your leadership skills will have a significant impact across your organization.
- Achieve your strategic goals with stronger, more committed teams
- Help the people you work with perform at their peak
- Create an atmosphere of trust, mutual support, and open communication
- Develop a high-performance culture in your organization
- Benchmark against the best leadership practices of the world's most successful companies
- Build high-performance expectations into everyday management practices
The concepts and tools taught in the program will greatly enhance your strategic planning knowledge and skills.
- Learn the personal and organizational skills you need to be an effective leader
- Gain a better understanding of your leadership capabilities
- Learn how to apply the principles of transformational leadership
- Expand your coaching, team leadership, and project management skills
- Exchange ideas and experiences with Queen's faculty and fellow participants
- Build better relationships within and outside your organization
- Return to work with proven tools to achieve lasting change in the way teams work together
- Learn how to lead a healthy and balanced life through the Program's optional Lifestyle Component
The program leverages the educational power of multiple teaching tools, including class discussions, exchange of ideas and perspectives with faculty and fellow participants, one-on-one coaching, exercises, and the development of a self-directed action plan for improving personal effectiveness.
"The skills and awareness I developed this week are so valuable. I now have the foundation for creating a much more effective and motivated team."
- Kelly Furuya
Human Resources Coordinator
Secure Energy Services Inc.
"An amazing program. You’ve created a raving fan in me. The whole experience was outstanding."
- Garrett Hollman
Leadership Development Specialist
The Program is built around a four-step process:
Understanding Your Leadership Capabilities
The program starts with personal assessments and self-discovery. One-on-one feedback will be provided by experienced coaches.
- Assess your leadership style and strengths before you enter the program
- Work with a Queen's coach to understand how others perceive your leadership style and identify barriers to your becoming a more effective leader
- Define your core values and beliefs and understand how they influence your effectiveness as a leader
Analyzing and Reflecting on Your Leadership Style
Gain valuable insight into your personal effectiveness as a leader
- Reflect on your leadership strengths and areas for development
- Diagnose and address problems that undermine individual and team effectiveness
- Build insight and self-understanding through structured feedback in team meetings and in problem sets
Developing a Personal Action Plan
Work with our professional coaches to create an action plan for changing what you do as a leader, and commit to a plan of professional renewal.
- Plot your ongoing development with a long-term leadership plan
- Set objectives and timelines for your progress
- Build high-performance expectations into your everyday management practices
- Prepare to use your leadership strengths more effectively
Enhancing Your Leadership Skills
Practice coaching skills, communicating, problem-solving, and team-building.
- Practice giving and receiving feedback
- Practice decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Develop coaching skills and work on a plan to help others grow as leaders
Session leaders include senior professors from Queen's School of Business and knowledgeable experts from industry. These outstanding teachers are constantly in touch with today's business world through real-world business experience, Board memberships and their own consulting practices.
Dr. Julian Barling - Organizational Behaviour, Queen's School of Business
Julian Barling is the Borden Chair of Leadership in the School of Business. An authority on transformational leadership, he has received numerous awards for teaching and research. He was elected as a fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 2002, and named a Queen's Research Chair in the same year. He has been elected as a Fellow in the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, the Association for Psychological Sciences, the European Academy of Occupational Health Psychology, and the Canadian Psychological Association. He received the National Post “Leaders in Business Education Award in 2002, and Queen's University's Award for Excellence in Graduate Supervision in 2008. He is the author of over 175 articles and numerous books, and is currently completing a book on organizational leadership that will be published by Oxford University Press in the coming months.
Ms. Peggy Baumgartner - Consultant, Performance Coaching Inc
In her role as consultant with Performance Coaching Inc., Peggy Baumgartner combines her speaking and training talents with 13 years of experience at IBM, and with experience in performance consulting, course design and development, curriculum management, business processes, and sales. She utilizes practical solutions, experience, and humour to help others optimize their performance along with the performance of those whom they manage. Ms. Baumgartner has instructed and worked with businesses, universities and government agencies in China, Belgium, the Caribbean, and North America. Her ability to assess needs, to design and to deliver measurable results have won her numerous awards for innovation, excellence, and leadership.
Dr. Peter Jensen - Founder and CEO, Performance Coaching Inc
Peter Jensen is an internationally recognized authority on high performance. Since achieving his PhD in Sports Psychology, he has attended six Olympic Games as a member of the Canadian Olympic team and has worked with over 40 medal-winning athletes and coaches. He is currently the mental training consultant for Canada's Olympic women's hockey team. He is the author of The Inside Edge, a book that describes how to improve both your personal and organizational performance under pressure, and Igniting the Third Factor, a book on how to inspire greatness in others. Dr. Jensen is the founding partner of Performance Coaching Inc., a corporate training firm. He has been featured on ABC, CBS, CBC and CTV. Past corporate clients include BP, Nexen, TD, Syncrude, Labatt, Hydro One, RCMP, GE Capital, and Royal Bank.
Dr. Shawna O'Grady - Human Resources and Team-Building, Queen's School of Business
Shawna O'Grady is an authority on strategic human resources management, team-building, and the cross-cultural aspects of international business. She is an experienced team facilitator who is in high demand for her original approach to team-building. She is also the author of Border Crossings – Doing Business in the U.S., an award-winning book on international business. She has consulted with many organizations including Microsoft, MDS, Mattel, Shoppers Drug Mart, Enbridge Consumers Gas, Industry Canada, BMW, Novo Nordisk, Oracle, Xerox, Bell Canada, GlaxoSmithKline, Ministry of Finance, Canada Post Corporation, and TD Canada Trust.